An individual layer of cushioning that rests on top of the bed’s sleep surface is referred to as a mattress topper.
Toppers are typically used to provide additional softness for mattresses that are overly firm, as well as extra support for mattresses that sag.
Additionally, people with back pain can use a topper to alleviate the aches, discomfort, and pressure points that occur night after night.
Check out the different types of mattress toppers, its benefits, and even this year’s best mattress toppers through the article below.
The mattress topper is generally a thicker, more expensive, and more comfortable version of the typical mattress pad.
You may have tried mattress pads in the past and been disappointed, well, the new mattress toppers are a significant improvement over what you’ve tried in the past and are worth a second look.
A mattress toppers main purpose is to provide a better night’s sleep for its owners at a cost that most anyone can afford, rather than buying a new bed. And these items do provide instant relief and comfort; they indeed are worth the money.
Price ranges for a mattress topper will run the gamut from under $100 to several hundreds of dollars, but they really can work miracles on your old mattress.
Older mattresses tend to get worn out over time and begin to refuse to conform to our bodies, and when that happens, we tend to wake to a lot more aches and pains.
Mattress toppers are generally built mostly for comfort, where pads are created to protect your mattress from wear and tear as well as from moisture.
A mattress topper can often restore like-new quality to an old and worn out mattress and significantly improve sleep quality. There are a wide variety of price points, features, and benefits to fit broad audiences needs and wants.
Moreover, Mattress Toppers can also help you sleep more deeply by limiting motion from your partner as well as helping people with back pain.
Types of Mattress Toppers
There are a variety of mattress toppers which are available for use, all of which differ mainly on its main property and purpose.
Check out the different types of mattress toppers through the list below to help you in choosing your mattress topper.
Some mattress toppers are made of a type of gel material which, during the night, will be cooling for the body.
If you sweat heavily or your body temperature runs higher, then this may be a good option for you. And some use a technology called Outlast.
Furthermore, some manufacturers use water and tubes to keep you cool.
Memory Foam is very durable and conforming to your body, so it provides excellent support.
The drawbacks might be the initial unpacking smell and the fact that it may trap excess body heat, if these types of issues may bother you this might not be the right material for you.
This type of topper is less expensive and is thicker, but generally less firm than some other types.
If you want to try a mattress topper and see if it’s for you, this could be a good entryway point for you, this way you’re not dropping a ton of money.
These types are very versatile and are considered a green product, so if you are looking for something earth friendly, then you should look into something like this.
It is also considered a firmer choice for extra support as well, latex models can be of the most exceptional quality and very high end, however, there can be an initial odor when unpacking.
These toppers are made from goose feathers, and as you would imagine, they do a great job of softening a very firm mattress.
Support is variable, and some will find it spotty, and the cost will vary quite a bit. These are generally not good for those of us with certain allergies.
Fiber mimics the feel of feathers but uses a material that is modern, and that is also more importantly hypoallergenic.
These are quite supportive and affordable; these are a good cheaper option for many people.
Wool is extremely durable and has the advantage of both keeping you cool when it’s hot and warmer in the cold months.
It has a price point in the moderate range and durability is on the high side. However, it’s not as easy getting this type of material into place on top of the bed.
Latex and wool toppers can be certified organic, or they may not be, it’s up to you to do your homework on the company and manufacturer.
You should be able to find a large number of green materials even though true organics may be hard to find.
Benefits of Using a Mattress Topper
Help Provide a Cool Sleep
You’ve probably realized by now that your memory foam mattress retains body heat despite having felt comfy at first.
The best mattress toppers are topped with a cooling gel that keeps you from getting so hot and is made of breathable wool that wicks moisture away from the body.
A mattress topper can turn a bed that’s too firm into plush, comforting bliss – one of its many benefits.
Without having to spend thousands of dollars, you can feel like you’re sleeping on a brand new bed.
Soothes Back Pain
Sleeping on a mattress that’s too firm causes pain because it puts too much pressure on the back. The best way to relieve pressure is to allow the spine to fall into neutral alignment since your spine has a natural curvature.
For the body not to sag, a mattress topper can help by providing pressure-relieving cushioning in the hip and shoulder areas while still supplying enough support.
Protects Owner from Germs
Lots of germs can be harbored in mattresses. If you’ve sweated in bed or even been sick in bed, the bacteria go right through your sheets and settle into your mattress.
A mattress topper can protect your mattress and reduce allergy and asthma symptoms often caused by breathing in mold and other harmful microorganisms in bed, through it being moisture-resistant, antibacterial, and hypoallergenic.
Best Mattress Toppers of 2019
Avocado Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper
Made with the finest natural and organic materials, including eco-INSTITUT certified, 100% natural Dunlop latex harvested from tree-tapped and sustainable sources, Avocado Green Mattress Toppers are up there on the great toppers list.
It is GOTS organic and OEKO-TEK Standard 100 certified wool, and GOTS certified organic cotton.
The topper is designed to rest on top of your existing mattress; they change the comfort of your current mattress — contouring to your body’s natural curves with added cushioning and luxury.
Features and Design
- NATURAL LATEX RUBBER. Made from sustainably harvested sources, Avocado Mattress Toppers feature 100% natural Dunlop latex rubber foam.
- TWO FIRMNESS OPTIONS
- 2 inches of 100% natural Dunlop latex
- CONVENIENT ZIPPER ACCESS
- SAFE & NON-TOXIC
- Avocado Mattress toppers were made with no petroleum-based polyurethane foams, memory foams, chemical adhesives or chemical fire retardants.
- HANDMADE IN CALIFORNIA
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified by UL Environment
- Great combination of support and comfort
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Great responsiveness
- Initial farm like smell
- Some still slept hot
Extra Plush Bamboo Fitted Mattress Topper
Extra Plush Bamboo Fitted Mattress Topper – the luxurious and good-looking mattress topper made from a natural bamboo fabric material.
The topper will bring a comfortable deep sleep during the whole night. The bamboo mattress topper is an excellent product with a very affordable price but the high quality which is one of our top picks for the best mattress topper in the market.
Features and Design
- The mattress topper is made from a special material called cluster fiber that “trap” air to allow the topper to keep its shape longer and also let more air flow.
- The top of the pad is 30% rayon and 70% polyester. Rayon is made from bamboo. The polyester supports stretchiness and durability of the mattress topper, meanwhile, Bamboo fabric makes sleeper easy to breathe and improve the circulation of the body.
- The backing of the topper is 50% polyester and 50% cotton.
- Its double Needle Baffle box stitch prevents fill from moving and shifting around.
- It is made in the USA.
- Can be machine washed and tumble dried at a low heat
- Comes in a wide range of sizes (twin to California King. I used a Queen)
- Stitching prevents filling from moving around inside the topper
- Design traps air to encourage air flow and enable the pad to keep its shape
- Not ideal for you if you need a firmer mattress
- Can shrink slightly when washed
- Thin Sides
Pangeabed Ultimate Copper Topper
PangeaBed is excited to announce the newest addition to our line of copper-infused sleep products: The Ultimate Copper Topper!
We’ve sourced the healthiest and most innovative materials available to create a mattress topper unlike any other on the market.
The unique topper is designed to breathe new life into any mattress by incorporating a blended unbleached organic cotton cover and the same copper-infused 100% pure Talalay latex that the brand uses in their signature copper products.
It is the only mattress topper of its kind. Sleep quite simply unattainable on any other mattress topper within the industry is attained by the copper mattress topper’s unique components that are cleaner, more cooling, and more comfortable.
Features and Design
- CLEAN: Naturally antibacterial and antimicrobial, copper is infused into hypoallergenic and dust-mite resistant Talalay latex to deliver a cleaner and healthier sleeping experience.
- COOL & BREATHABLE: The blended Unbleached Organic Cotton cover works with Talalay latex’s unique cell structure to provide exceptional airflow that maximizes circulation and breathability.
- To prevent the mattress topper from sleeping hot, copper contributes its unique heat-dispersing properties.
- 30 NIGHT FREE TRIAL: The Ultimate Mattress Topper is custom built in the USA and shipped right to your door. You can sleep on the mattress topper risk-free for 30 nights. If you’re not satisfied with your sleep, you can get a full refund. We also offer a limited one-year warranty.
- Good support
- Cover is washable
- Difficult to keep in place
Sleep Innovations 4 inch Dual Layer Mattress Topper
Isn’t the thought of sleeping on a puffy cloud sound perfect to you?
For unbeatable comfort combined with gentle, pressure-relieving support, Sleep Innovation’s two-layer mattress topper adds 2 inches of fluffy fiber-fill in a soft quilted cover to 2 inches of cooling gel memory foam.
So, if you sleep through your alarm, don’t be too surprised. Moreover, the topper also comes with a cover that is easy to remove and completely washer and dryer safe.
Features and Design
- QUEEN MATTRESS TOPPER: Drift into a sounder, deeper sleep on this 4-inch queen pillow top mattress cover which is ideal for back, stomach, or side sleepers.
- DUAL LAYER: The topper comes with a machine-washable cover that holds both layers perfectly in place for unbeatable comfort.
- GEL MEMORY FOAM: Everybody deserves personalized comfort for each has his or her preferences. To create the optimal sleep temperature, Sleep Innovations cooling gel memory foam draws heat away from the body.
- COMFORT & SUPPORT: For unbeatable comfort combined with gentle, pressure-relieving support, the queen mattress topper combines 2 inches of quilted fiber fill with 2 inches of memory foam.
- MADE IN THE USA: Sleeping Innovations’ Topper is a proud product of the United States of America. Moreover, for easy shipping and handling, the product is vacuum packed and comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
- Has cooling properties
- Comfortable fiberfill layer
- Keeps its shape
- Quick bounceback
- Slight odor
- Maybe too soft for some
Morphiis: Perfect Pressure Mattress Topper Plus
The world’s only mattress topper that allows each sleeper to customize and personalize the firmness on their side of the bed is the patent-pending perfect pressure 3″ adjustable mattress topper plus.
No other mattress topper offers customizations with eight different firmness options from very soft to firm.
Additionally, the topper plus reduce occurrences of nightly tossing and turning for it has a unique construction and architecture that reduces pressure points in the hip and shoulder regions.
The topper plus can be used on brand new mattresses or even on old mattresses to customize the desired firmness.
No need to buy a new mattress every eight years and no need to buy an expensive mattress since the topper plus provides the all-important sleep surface.
Features and Design
- 95% Polyester/ 5% Spandex
- Eight different firmness options for each sleeper
- 3-inch profile
- Whole surface adjustment
- Washable cover
- Difficult to adjust
- Slightly larger than the bed area
- Cover hard to put back on
The Avocado mattress topper is a beautifully designed, high-quality product. It is soft to the touch and even looks soft. It will certainly make anybody happy who is sleeping on it or thinking about buying it.
Overall, the manufacturers did a great job of eliminating all the negativity that comes with latex and turning it into all positivity. Indeed, the Avocado mattress topper deserves to be hailed the best mattress topper for back pain of 2019.