In recent months, many countries decided to legalize marihuana and as the interest rises on this topic, the new product came to the market. The Cannabinoid is known as CBD. Some say that it is helpful for people who struggle with sleep disorders, anxiety diabetes etc. So, we decided to get to the bottom of this, providing you detailed research about what exactly the CBD oils contain, how to use it and most importantly is it safe and legal to do so.
In addition, we will provide you with our Top 6 CBD products and a guide to make sure you make the most suitable purchase.
* If you are already familiar with this concept but just need a brief reminder, you can find a short summary at the end of the article.
What are CBD Oils Exactly and What do They Contain?
Before we start, we would like to mention that all information is based on our research, before you decide on anything make sure you consult your licensed doctor.
Cannabinoid also is known as CBD, is oil that contains extract of Cannabis sativa plant called hemp (around forty percent) and marijuana.
This is important to know because hemp and marijuana are not the same. Even though they are from the same Cannabis family the chemical makeup is different and also it is low in THC which means it has no psychoactive effect.
Fun fact: Our bodies produce endocannabinoid that is a compound of a system with the same name that is connected to receptors of cannabis that are found in our immune system and digestive system. The endocannabinoid system is very important because it has a role of regulating our motor skills, cognitive and psychological process, appetite, memory, mood even physical exercise due to the euphoria that it is caused by exercise. Naturally, as we age, we produce less of endocannabinoids and more of Phytocannabinoids (ncbi link) that helps us to regain the balance of the body.
When the CBD oil is extracted from the plant cannabis it can consist of thirty percent of THC – Tetrahydrocannabinol, so in order to make it usable, we have to implement methods to lower THC to 0.3 percent or less, hence it won’t have any psychoactive effect whatsoever. There are two extraction methods:
Extraction with cooling – If CBD oil is cooled down after and separated from other types of cannabinoid it will crystalize and crushing them will a powder, then it will not contain THC at all. It will look twinkly and white. (isolate crystalline)
Extraction without cooling – If CBD oil is not cooled it will regain THC capacity containing 0.3 or less percent. It will look translucent and yellow. (whole cannabis plant)
How are CBD Oils Used?
- It can be ingested orally using capsules that are small.
- It can be used as an additive in food, in the forms of drops that should be placed under the tongue for few minutes to get a better and faster effect. This form contains the biggest concentration of CBD.
- It can be inhaled by using an electronic cigarette or vapor aka pen used for vaping.
- It can be used as a spray for oral purposes which has a lower concentration.
- It can be applied on the skin directly like a lotion.
Depending on personal preference you can get various kinds of CBD oil flavors like vanilla, peppermint, cinnamon, lavender or if you are not so keen on them you can just get a natural/ no scent.
Most of them come in 15ml / 0.5 oz or 30ml/1 oz bottle, but you should always pay attention to the concentration of cannabinoid measured in mg, rather than the size of the bottle. If the milligram amount is higher than the CBD is much stronger. Sometimes the label will say the strength of oil but don’t be confused that is actually the mg we discussed earlier.
Many people are wondering how much CBD oil should be consumed. Although it is usually determined by your weight and the effect you want to get, it is advised to consult your doctor before reaching a decision in order to get the best result.
For people who weigh less than average, it is recommended to consume 11 or fewer milligrams for an effect that is mild, 12 milligrams to 14 milligrams for an effect that is moderate, 15 milligrams to 17 milligrams for an effect that is strong.
For people who are average weight it is recommended to consume 14 or fewer milligrams for an effect that is mild, 15 milligrams to 17 milligrams for an effect that is moderate, 18 milligrams to 28 milligrams for an effect that is strong.
For people who weigh more than average, it is recommended to consume 23 or fewer milligrams for an effect that is mild, 24 milligrams to 29 milligrams for an effect that is moderate, 30 milligrams to 45 milligrams for an effect that is strong
CBD is containing Phyto cannabinoids that are chemical coalescence-based on a plant. It doesn’t contain THC which creates a psychoactive effect rather than that it will produce a feeling of being sleepy so it would be an effective and healthy anesthetic for people who are struggling to sleep well during the night.
Best CBD Oils for Sleep – Picks and Buyer’s Guide
NuLeaf Naturals – The Best Quality
NuLeaf Naturals as their name says provide completely natural products that are extracts of a whole plant so there are no synthetics at all. The hemp is grown in Colorado on a farm that has a license. They use the advanced program of cloning to make sure that consistency is unsurpassed and safe at the same time. Everything is organic and made of the full spectrum of the plant cannabis, no use of pesticides or other chemicals.
The system for extracting is called CO2, which is the leading industry standard, and that is their main tool to get the extract of the phytonutrients and this technique does not need heat to get the full spectrum in the blend. The color is clear gold which shows how pure it is, which is also expected considering that they don’t use chemicals.
They offer CBD oils that are concentrated with 250milligrams, 500 milligrams, 1000 milligrams of strength. This will satisfy most users of CBD in terms of strength but it might not be adequate for consumers that need the higher dosage. That is why they offer not so common concentrations like 240milligrams, 725milligrams, 1450milligrams, 2425milligrams and 4 850milligrams which will accommodate every need of their customers. They also sell them in drop bottles or tinctures.
NuLeaf Naturals also provides free shipping in the US, the products are can be found in over 1000 stores all over the country.
- People who specifically want to use tinctures/oils
- People who want their oils to be organic and eco-friendly
- People whose preferences are not conventional
- The whole plant-based
- 0.16 dollars per milligrams
- Wide choice of concentrations
Nature’s Script – Best CBD Oil Without THC
Nature’s Script is a company that is also focused on bringing you all-natural organic products free from any kind of heavy chemicals because of the CO2 Extraction. They have the best specialist to help you get the best product that is THC, GMO-free with a guarantee that’s 100 percent tested. So, it won’t cause any issue during drug testing.
Not only that but it offers many types of CBD products. Tinctures or Drop bottles are sold in 30-milliliter bottle and concentration of 300 milligrams 600milligrams 1000milligrams 2000milligrams 4000milligrams. Nature’s Script advises that you should start from 5 milligrams to 10 milligrams a day and then slowly increase the dose once you get the wanted effect.
You have a choice of unscented, peppermint and watermelon flavor. For oral use, you can consume vape juice and capsules or if you prefer edible choices you will enjoy syrup or gummies and a topical for relieving the pain is sold in containers that are 1-4oz dosage.
They also have pet-friendly options like drops in a concentration of 150milligrams 300milligrams 1000milligrams. Great option for smaller dogs will be oil which concentration is not high while for larger dogs, the bigger concentration would be a good option. But never forget to check with your veterinarian before you decide on anything.
Free shipping is available.
- People who prefer both flavored and not flavored oils
- People who have to go to drug check-ups regularly
- People who avoid using products that contain THC
- Doesn’t contain THC
- 0.17 dollars per milligrams
- Various product options
‘cbdMD’ – Best Overall Value
‘cbdMD’ offers purest CBD on the market. They grow hemp that is much richer in minerals and vitamins because they use Broad Spectrum extraction preserves it. The products that they make always go to additional testing by a third-party laboratory to make sure you get the best quality there is, you can even check their current result on their website.
Most people refrain from using CBD oils because their price is too high for something that they are not sure will help them, but we can assure you that cbdMD is an evident exception. Their Premium oils that do not contain THC have a wide range of concentrations from 300 milligrams to 5 milligrams and sizes 30 and 60 milliliters. The prices are undoubtedly lower compared to average as you will notice because for 300 milligrams you pay 28 dollars and for 1500 milligrams you pay 90 dollars.
Besides CBD oils, they offer other products like capsules, pet-friendly products, and cosmetic products like bath bombs (so awesome I know) and skin creams. All of them are GMO, Gluten-free and good for vegans.
One advantage that they have is that, besides offering free shipping in the USA, they offer a full refund if you return the product within 30 days.
- People who suffer from mild symptoms of insomnia and anxiety disorder
- People who prefer oils or capsules
- Consumers who want products without THC
- GMO, Gluten-free
- Lower cost 0.09 dollars per milligram
- Various choices of products
Green Roads CBD – Wide Range of Products
Green Roads goal is to provide the safest and the best quality CBD products to ease your pain. They are reliable and an established brand that has been with us since 2011 by a licensed pharmacist.
This company truly is one of the original makers of CBD products and they justify their reputation with their best quality CBD oils, offering various concentrations from 100 milligrams, 250milligrams, 350 milligrams, 550 milligrams, 1000 milligrams, 1500 milligrams to 3500 milligrams. If you wish to see the results of the testing you can do it via QR code or on their website.
All of the tests are run by Evio Labs.
They use CO2 system and all drops are formulated by hand by experienced pharmacists.
Since they are one of the largest manufacturers their prices are higher compared to their competitors but they offer both crystalline isolate and full spectrum. This means that you get other beneficial cannabinoids instead of just powerful CBD and you get the natural taste since all of their products are unflavored.
Products that they offer are edible syrups, gummies in shape of frogs, special tincture terpenes, CBD oils, pet products, tea and many more.
- People who are inexperienced and want to go with a brand that is trusted
- Consumers who prefer natural flavor
- People who want a variety of products
- Trusted brand
- Various products
- A wide range of concentration
- 0.27 dollars per milligrams
Populum – Best Consumer Experience
Populum in Latin means for people, which suits them perfectly because they provide the best customer experience due to complete transparency of the products. Their mission is to break the stigma about the hemp plant and the usage of CBD and to bring it to the next level.
The hemp is grown in Colorado and the test results are from a third-party lab. It’s formulated in certified GMP facility and technology that is used provides the maximum potential of CBD.
They provide a concentration of 250 milligrams, 500milligrams and 1000 milligrams of the full spectrum. Also, in their CBD products, you can find coconut, orange, and grapeseed oil flavor. They’ve created Starter kit for beginner consumers that contains a pet, CBD oil and CBD topical. In addition to that If you struggle with pain in muscles and joints, you can buy cooling CBD topical.
While some companies do not provide clear results of testing, Populum gives you a copy of the testing results with your purchased product. The results are also available on their website. The prices vary from 0.12-0.28 dollars/milligram which depends on the mg or concentration.
In addition to all of that, they give 30-day trial with a full refund in case you decide they do not match your needs.
- People who suffer from insomnia
- People who want CBD oil that is the whole plant based
- People who enjoy flavored CBD oils
- Great consumer experience
- Whole plant-based oil
- Available oil for pets
- 0.28 dollars per milligrams
Last but Not Least – Editor’s Pick – CBDistillery
CBDistillery is a Colorado-based company created by their natives who believe that we deserve quality that is only the best and nothing less. The hemp oil is the whole plant-based aka full spectrum and the hemp itself is grown outside exposed to sunlight in conditions that are completely organic.
They offer concentration from 250 milligrams to 5 000 milligrams. All of the products are tested by a third-party lab for the best and safest quality and you can find it on their website. The oil drops or tincture is not flavored.
CBDistillery provides consumers with a wide range of CBD products like salves and lotions that are topical, vapors, gummies, waxes, soft and hard capsules, and isolates and without THC oils in few flavors. Pet products are also available. If by any chance you get the wrong product, you can return it within 7 business days if you did not open it.
- People who suffer from insomnia
- People who prefer natural flavor
- People who suffer from disorders or pain that is chronic
- People who prefer to have a wide range of choices
- Isolate and the whole plant based
- Various products choices
- Various choices of concentration
- 0.08 dollars per milligrams
Buyers Guide – Things to Consider Before Purchasing
Your budget – Since most CBD have various price depending on the concentration it would be the wisest idea to determine first how much you want to spend per mg for CBD oil and then how much you would pay the most on the whole bottle. Make sure you include the shipping/delivery if you decide to order online.
How much you weigh – The most important thing to consider as we mentioned is your weight, so size and concentration should be chosen accordingly. If your weight is less than average and you want light effect you would need 11 milligrams or less dosage which means from 450-milligram concentration you would need forty doses. If your weight is more than average and you want stronger effect you should use the same concentration but less, for example, ten doses would be enough.
Place of living – And we do not mean which street you live in ha-ha. Rather than that, it is necessary to pay attention if CBD oils are regulated in your state because some laws have a stricter policy indicating limited places to buy them.
If you often go through drug testing – If your answer is positive, CBD oils that are the whole plant-based are maybe not your best choice because the oil will contain some percent of THC and your test might go as positive. It is safer to choose CBD oils that are isolated crystalline because those do not contain THC at all.
If you take prescribed medications – If your answer is positive, please consult your doctor due to the processing of your liver and the possible side effect that CBD oil might have on it.
Does the CBD oil provide third lab test results? – It is necessary for users to get those details because they show the quality of the product. For safety, it is better for inexperienced users to avoid the ones that do not give lab results.
Buying preference – Whether you prefer a mortar and brick store or an online store keep in mind that there is no right or wrong. Both have pros and cons so it is a matter of your taste. But keep in mind that some sales that are online might be the only probable option in some states.
Personal preference regarding flavor – Some CBD oils are natural or not flavored while others offer variety. Pick a brand that will be the most suited for your needs and preferences.
Benefits of CBD Oils
Research showed that CBD oils are very useful in relieving anxiety and pain both of which can have a bad effect on our sleep quality. It can lengthen sleep that will help a person to get more rest each night and it is a great alternative to marijuana because it does not contain THC (or in a very small percentage) and it will not worsen the symptoms of medical conditions or various disorders like ones related to sleep. Let’s see how the CBD oil effect most common disorders
Insomnia – Since CBD oil is known that it prolongs sleep and it has a soothing effect, this will help people struggling with insomnia. Most people experience because some discomfort usually pain and this oil will help milden the symptoms of physical pain to an extent that is noticeable. If you take it in small dosage it can help you feel more awake during the day and use it as a boost if you feel extremely tired due to lack of sleep.
Restless leg disorder– is a disorder that involves an urge that you can’t resist and that is to constantly move your legs no matter day or night. This can be really troublesome when you want to get a good night rest. Few studies showed that CBD helped to resolved it in six patients but naturally we need more studies that will explain in detail how it worked on in these cases.
RBD – is a sleep disorder called parasomnia followed by movements like becoming agitated physically, shouting which can lead to more serious disease like PTSD and Alzheimer’s. People who suffer from this act their dreams out in the physical matter that could in some cases lead to possible injury. CBD oils are helpful to ease symptoms of RBD and symptoms that could lead to it as well.
Anxiety and depression – Both disorders can cause disruption of sleep. In order to make you feel relaxed, you need something that will release serotonin that has a soothing and calming effect that will make you sleep at ease, well CBD oils help in serotonin activation.
Chronic pain – The endocannabinoid system found in our body is a key factor that manages and regulates pain, so it would be good to use CBD that can work as a supplement because it boosts adenosine and our brain needs it. When the adenosine is released it helps with inflammation that are painful and cardiovascular function by easing all of the pain.
Epilepsy – In cases of severe symptoms of epilepsy CBD product like Epidiolex, might be prescribed. CBD oils can also be helpful to ease and alleviates the seizures. It provides the reliving effect without side effects like the common medicine do.
Schizophrenia – Is a disorder that is strongly connected to a distorted way of thinking and perceiving the world. Usually, it includes hearing voices and hallucinating. These symptoms can cause a person to have a lack of interest in their favorite hobbies and depression is, unfortunately, their companion. Because most OCD oils do not contain THC, they will milden the symptoms and other disorders that cause psychotic behavior. In addition, CBD helps ECS to function properly, improving their mood emotion and even the way they process memories that were traumatic for them. It will not erase the symptoms but it will alleviate them.
Please note that it is always best to consult your licensed doctor before implementing these pieces of advice. Even though patients that have used CBD oils say that it was helpful for them, we do need more studies trials and research to give a final conclusion with solid pieces of evidence on why the improvements happen and how do they benefit individual case.
As nothing in this world has a solely positive effect, we will consider some risk factors when consuming CBD oils and products.
Safety of CBD Oils
Most of the results and effect of CBD oil consumption were positive but it might have a side effect:
- A repressed function of the liver – This can occur if we consume a higher dose of CBD oils which can slow down metabolization of it hence other drugs might be not processed so quickly if at all. That is why it is necessary to talk to your doctor before.
- Cottonmouth- Is also known as a symptom of dry mouth which occurs because CBD can affect the receptors in charge of saliva lower part of the mouth. Mostly it is a discomfort characterized by a mild thirst.
- Blood pressure can be decreased – Right after consumption you might feel lightheaded due to the slight drop in your blood pressure. This effect goes away quite quickly within a few hours, but if you take medication to consult your doctor.
- Symptoms of diarrhea – Common case if you use a higher dose of CBD product because of digestion of it. Smaller doses will minimize that effect.
- Appetite change – Common side effect is that you might feel an increased appetite when consuming CBD oil.
- Last but not least, one of the common symptoms of CBD oils is the feeling of excessive tiredness, which is actually good if you suffer from lack of sleep but do not drive while consuming it to prevent any incidents from happening.
CBD Oils and Law
Recently CBD and other products made from components of hemp and marijuana have been a hot topic due to some state’s approval. During history, the only way you could cultivate and grow hemp is if it was for research purposes for science. But things are going rapidly forward. On April of the year 2018 Senator of Kentucky M. McConnell introduced the act of Hemp farming proposed that all products made of hemp are legalized. It was incorporated in the USA last year on the Bill Farm which passed in Senate and House in 2018.
Even though the results were mostly positive, the legal issue depends on the state or country.
It is best to get informed on the current state of your country and the laws of the legalization of CBD, hemp, and marijuana. Since the laws are constantly changing it would be a good idea to contact an attorney to get the precise information.
Where to Buy CBD Oil?
Here are some ways to find CBD oils
- Manufacturing industries – Almost all CBD brands offer the possibility to buy their product directly from their website where you can order and get it delivered.
- Retailers that are online – Usually you can buy CBD oils through retailers that are online. This is a good option because you can see a variety of products on spot and get delivered directly to your home. Also, you can often see reviews from other buyers that will help you to determine if the price, quality, service according to your taste.
- Brick and mortar store – You can also buy CBD in physical stores on the counter, like stores that sell supplements beneficial for health. The perk of buying like this is that you can directly consult the counter clerk about the best recommendations, pros and cons, and other useful information.
- CBD dispensary – In states where consumption of marijuana is legal, this is a quite common and normal sight. Usually, you don’t need a prescription for hemp CBD oils but if they are marijuana based then you need to get one. Stores like this offer on spot consumer service but on the downside, the cost might be significantly higher compared to online. Keep in mind that this option varies from state to state depends on the current law of legalization.
It is important to keep in mind the cost. Some brands sell from 300 milligrams to 700 milligrams, although some vary from 100 milligrams to over 2000 milligrams. So, the best thing to do is calculate the cost per mg. The CBD which is at a lower price is from 0.05 to 0.10 dollars per milligram, the middle cost is from 0.11 dollars to 0.15 dollars per milligram and higher cost is from 0.16 dollars or more. In conclusion, one bottle can cost from 10 dollars or lower to 150 dollars or higher.
How to Get Good Quality CBD Oil?
Often price can indicate how good the quality we highly recommend to review these factors as well
- Extraction method – Which method companies use can tell you a lot of things. A lot of companies want to save money on this process thus you get a very cheap quality of the oil. They will use substances that are very toxic like hexane, butane, and propane. Even though they convince consumers that it will not affect them many studies prove differently, toxic substances are very hard to get rid of and can cause many health problems like cardiac and respiratory problems.
The best method is CO2 that provides quality that is very high but to use it is costly due to the price of equipment, complicated, procedure but the ending results are worth all of that. Also, the extraction that contains ethanol is safer because that will make the hemp clean from all the bad toxic substances and carbon dioxide.
- Hemp place of growth – This is important because the characteristic of the hemp plant is that it is hyperaccumulator meaning it will take in anything from the ground that it grows on. If the ground is contaminated, the plant will likely be too. On the other hand, if the land contains a lot of soil including minerals and other beneficial substances the hemp CBD will result in high quality. That is why it is necessary to gain proper information on where the hemp is grown, under which conditions and to look for proof or certificate that the ground is not contaminated with heavy metal and other toxic materials. You will probably find information on brands website and through their customer support
- Amount of THC- As we already discussed THC is the chemical that produces a psychoactive effect. The best quality CBD oil will provide less than 0.3 THC. A higher concentration will lead to negative effects. Make sure you get the full proofed tests on it and that they legally sell it.
- Testing from the third party- This is necessary because they are not subjective (not connected to the company on a personal level) therefore they won’t embellish the results rather than that they will show it as it is. The third party will ensure the quality that matches the standards and that it’s safe for customer consumption. It should result in a low amount of THC and high amount of CBD and lack of toxins. Reliable CBD oil brands will always provide and even they will emphasize that they offer lab tests that are recent and were to find them. Make sure you know where it is and that it is trustworthy.
- Laboratory results – This is the proof that the claims of third-party testing are valid. Even if you cannot exactly read what it says on the results as it usually is with medical stuff it is generally wiser to get CBD oil with it than without it.
Please note that the choice should be on your preference of concentration. Tinctures and vapors usually contain higher concentration while sprays and oils contain lower concentration. The higher concentration doesn’t necessarily mean higher quality it just means it will have a stronger effect.
If you take these tips into consideration you are more likely to find a brand that will provide you with exactly what you need. Unfortunately, since legalization is not 100 percent, consumers have to be extra cautious because there are many companies that just want profit but luckily many brands offer enough evidence so we can put our trust in them.
Since CBD oils are relatively new products on the market it might be scary for a beginner consumer but with a bit of our information and with your extra research, together we will find the optimal solution for the thing we all want and that is to be happy and pain-free as much as possible.
A Short Summary of CBD Oils for Sleep
CBD also knowns as cannabidiol is a type of cannabinoid found in plants of cannabis. Although some type of cannabis has psychedelic effect CBD does not because the percentage of THC is low or non-existent. CBD produces the feeling of being sleepy and calm that is helpful for people who suffer from insomnia or other disorders. In addition, it can ease symptoms of diabetes, anxiety, and epilepsy.
Currently, it is legal in most of the fifty states but it is better to inquire more about it to get the most reliable information. We have two types of CBD that are sold in the US.
Those that have completely clean from other components of cannabinoids that are called crystalized isolate.
Others that are whole plant-based or full spectrum that contain the maximum allowed percentage of THC and other cannabinoids and it is sold in states where marijuana was previously legalized.
Consumption of CBD can vary from edible capsules, gummies, food additives, syrups to inhaling by vaping, topical creams and drops or tinctures.
The concentration of the CBD oil will determine the strength of the effect that is soporific.
A fashion designer by profession, writer by choice and bookworm – always. As a person struggling with anxiety for years and someone who loves to sleep, I can relate to the struggles of getting a good night’s rest. When I’m not doing sleep research, I enjoy reading books, being involved in creative activities and discovering the best use of my Moka pot.