A lot of parents are indecisive when it comes to baby shopping, but one of the bigger dilemmas is should they use bassinet first, or buy a crib and stick to it from the very beginning. They seem to have the same purpose, but the bassinet is usually used for the first six months of baby’s life, while the crib can be convertible and used for years. Then, what is the catch with bassinets?
The bassinets are way smaller than the average crib, similar to cradles, more mobile and it is easier to place them as near as possible to parents bed, as the AAP recommends that the babies should sleep in their parent’s room for at least first six months or more. At this point in their lives, babies spend a lot of time sleeping, because their sleep routine is so unique and fragile, with bassinets they will be closer to their moms if they need feeding or anything else during the night.
Most of the cribs are bulky, heavy, take a lot of space, and cannot be moved so quickly even if they have wheels. So, for the first couple of months, bassinets are more convenient, their sides are much lower which makes it easier for parents to reach for their baby. Bassinets take way less room space than the average crib, so in the end, it all comes down to parents preferences, and their willingness to invest in another piece of furniture. When the baby starts rolling on the side or trying to push up on all fours, it is time for the transition to the crib, that usually happens between their third and sixth month. If you are still indecisive, keep reading to see our suggestions for the best bassinets and maybe buy one for your baby.
How Do I Choose A Bassinet?
When choosing a bassinet, think about the baby’s safety and sleep conditions first, because that is all they need at that stage.
- Mesh made sides are very common among bassinets, and they are the best option because they increase the airflow, and parents can always see their child and vice versa. If somehow happens that the baby turns on the side, or her face gets too close to the sides, breathing will still be enabled, and that is an essential factor in preventing the SIDS.
- Prescribed CPSC safety regulations about sizes, stability, etc. are often updated so it is always better to get a new bassinet instead of using some older models that may not meet the latest safety standards.
- Always follow the suggested height or weight limits for bassinet use, and make sure to move your child to the crib once it outgrows the bassinet
- Detachable or portable bassinets are popular and convenient, but pay attention if you buy a stroller with removable bassinet because they are not designed to be used during the night, but only during the day while the child is under supervision.
- Because they are meant to be used for a short period, bassinets are usually cheaper than cribs. Among the bassinets, plastic models are more economical, but not so durable or confident. The best material for bassinets is wood, but those models tend to be more expensive.
- If you want to have a bassinet which includes features such as vibration or playing lullabies, you need to pay more, but if that is going to help the baby (and parents too) to have a peaceful night, then it might be worth it. White noise and vibrations can be beneficial for newborns sleep because it will remind them of the time spent in the uterus.
- Generally speaking, all bassinets can be pulled to the side of the bed, but when one side can be completely opened, it creates a feeling that the baby is sleeping in the same bed with the parents. Newborns should not share the bed with their parents, but with co-sleeper babies can stay in their own sleeping area while being closer and more reachable to parents.
- It is crucial that the bassinet is portable because newborn babies will spend the vast majority of their time sleeping in it, and it is more convenient for parents to move the bassinet around the house; otherwise they would be trapped in the bedroom all day.
- If you still think that investing in a bassinet is a waste of money, search for multifunctional or convertible models, which often combine bassinet and the crib. That way you will get a 2 in 1 model which will grow with your child and save you some money and time.
Counting Sheep’s Best Bassinets
- Arm’s Reach Concept Clear-Vue
- Evenflo Loft Portable Bassinet
- Graco Pack N’ Play Reversible Napper
- Halo Bassinets Swivel Sleeper
Arm’s Reach Concept Clear-Vue
- Wheels for easier mobility
- Basket for storage
- Can be used as co-sleeper or free-standing
As our first bassinet suggestion, we represent you the Clear Vue model which can be used as co-sleeper or free-standing. The Arm’s Reach Clear-Vue bassinet is constructed with four transparent and breathable mesh sides, they allow parents always to have an eye on their baby. Because bassinets are usually positioned right next to the bed, this one has leg extensions which enable the adaptation of bassinet height to the height of parents bed. The legs can be tall from 24 to 30 inches, which means that they can match the profile of any bed. This bassinet comes with four matching wheels, so if you want to move it around the house, it’s not a problem. Underneath the sleeping area is an additional storage basket which is very convenient for placing all the necessities you may require when the baby wakes up during the night.
Equipping this bassinet is one less thing to worry about because it comes with a mattress, sheet and nylon attachment strap which will keep the bassinet attached to the mattress of parents bed. When this bassinet is used in co-sleeper mode, parents can lower one of the sides so that they have an unhindered view of the baby. Assembling is very easy. When entirely constructed, the dimensions of the bassinet are 34 x 20 x 31 inches, and it weighs 25 pounds. The company recommends using this bassinet for the first five months or until the baby starts to push up.
Evenflo Loft Portable Bassinet
- Bluetooth speaker
- Folds easily
If you are looking for a bassinet that can go everywhere with you, then these 10 pounds of baby furniture are made for your needs. Families who often travel or have active social life will love this bassinet because it is so easy to fold and carry it around where ever you need to go. So as the best portable bassinet, we represent you the Evenflo Loft.
The Evenflo company tried not only to create a useful piece of furniture but to create a perfect sleep area for newborns. To do so, they added some extra features that could improve baby’s sleep routine. The innovative features of this Evenflo Portable bassinet are its Bluetooth speaker that will play baby’s favorite lullaby’s or sleep music, and a soft nightlight. Another ‘gadget’ that they built-in is the room temperature monitor which contributes to optimal sleep conditions. The batteries are not included so you will need to provide 3 AA 1.5v batteries. For the sides of the bassinet, they used soft materials combined with mesh panels which increase the airflow and breathability.
With the weight of only 10 pounds, this bassinet is probably one of the most lightweight models on the market, and that is why it is so easy to carry it around. When its unfolded, bassinets dimensions are 33.5 x 20.5 x 26.7 inches. This bassinet can carry up to 20 lbs, and that is why the company claims that a child can use it until it reaches 20 lbs.
This portable bassinet comes with a very affordable price, and its simple and sleek design in a silver-gray color works well for both boys and girls. Lastyl, it has some pretty cool features that your baby will undoubtedly enjoy.
Graco Pack N’ Play Reversible Napper
- Can be folded into carrying bag
- Has storage pockets
- Can convert to crib or a play yard
Graco Pack N’ Play Reversible Napper is a multifunctional piece of furniture functions as a crib, removable bassinet, play yard, and portable changing table. At first, it looks like an average crib, but it has an inserted bassinet called „newborn napper“ that can get attached to the side rails. This bassinet is intended for babies that weigh less than 15 pounds. The bassinet area can easily convert into a portable changing station, which is very handy. This model combines the crib and the bassinet in one, overcoming the usually short period of bassinet use and saving parents some money.
Folding a crib has never been easier thanks to a push-button that will close your play yard quickly. As an addition, buyers will get a convenient bag for storage or carrying. The crib is intended for children who are less than 35 inches tall and cannot climb out.
Since it has several functions, the dimensions of this multi practic napper are 28.5 x 33.25 x 40 inches, and it weighs 28.3 pounds. If you are indecisive about buying separately bassinet and the crib, this multifunctional model may solve your doubts.
Halo Bassinets Swivel Sleeper
- Adjustable base
- 360 degrees swivel
- Built-in sleep gadgets
This very modern looking bassinet comes from the Halo company, and it is known as the best bedside co-sleeper bassinet because it offers excellent position customization options. It brings babies as close as possible to their parents. With 360 degrees swiveling and rotating it has never been easier for parents to nurse and reach their baby. Sidewalls can easily be lowered so that the parents can access their baby without having to leave their bed. The base bracket features four height stages so it will adapt to all bed profiles between 24 and 34 inches high.
This Halo Bassinets Swivel Sleeper can carry a baby with less than 20 lbs, but regardless of the weight, you should stop using it if you notice that your baby can roll over, or starts pushing up on knees and hands. The sides are made from transparent polyester mesh which can be spot cleaned with a damp cloth, while the removable sheet is machine washable.
Some innovative features that this bassinet has are a nightlight, three nature and three womb sounds, three lullabies, two levels of vibration, and a back-to-sleep reminder. Selected models also have a soothing center. Three AA batteries are needed to start the magic, but they are not included. This elegant bassinet weighs more than average, around 47 pounds, it guarantees stability, and its dimensions are 35 x 19 x 12 inches.