Besides plenty of different mattress manufacturers and constructions, there is also a lot of available sizes to choose from. In today’s battle of mattresses, we are going to focus and compare the two probably most sold sizes, king and queen, and to see if there really is a big difference between them and is bigger the better?
For additional information about other dimensions, feel free to check our mattress size chart.
King Mattress Vs. Queen Mattress
While their construction remains the same, their size is the thing which makes that small but significant difference. Compared to other standard mattress dimensions, the king and queen are pretty similar in size, so how different can they be? In the chart below we gathered and compared their key features in one place.
|Features:||King mattress||Queen mattress|
|Length and width||80 x 76 inches||80 x 60 inches|
|Width per person||38 inches||30 inches|
|Room size||10 x 14 feet||10 x 12 feet|
|Popularity||7% of all mattress purchases||32% of all mattress purchases|
|Cost||From 1000$ to 1700$||From 800$ to 1200$|
|Usage||Usually for master bedrooms||Mostly for guest rooms or smaller bedrooms|
|Suitable for||Couples and families||Singles or couples|
Standard and Non-Standard Dimensions
In the chart above, we inserted standard dimensions for king and queen mattress size. Those sizes, as well as everything you may need for them, bed frames, bed sheets, etc can be easily found. However, you can also bump into non-standard king and queen models, and that may cause you more troubles than you think. So, do not ever presume that every queen and king come in their standard and widely known size, because you may be unpleasantly surprised when you find out that it does not fit your room or bed frame. Always check the details and measure your own bed to see will it fit.
Here is the list of some most common non-standard king and queen dimensions:
- California queen – you will rarely find this model nowadays, but it is not impossible, California queen is four inches longer than the standard queen, and it is used for water beds.
- Split queen – this is a standard queen size that is split in the middle, it basically consists out of two mattresses which can be moved or combined, depending on the needs, both are 30 x 80 inches.
- Olympic queen – also known as expanded queen, is 6 inches wider than the standard queen, and it measures 66 x 80 inches.
- California king – also known as western king, is the most common model of all non-standard ones, so common that has earned its place among other standard sizes. It is a bit narrower and longer than the standard king, measuring 72 x 84 inches.
- Split king – the principle is the same as with split queen; however, they can often be 2 inches wider than standard. Each half measures 39 x 80 inches.
King Mattress – Pros & Cons
King sized mattresses were introduced in the 40s when it was usual to combine two twin beds and represent them as one large bed. Later in the 50s king gained its popularity and became famous as the best option for master bedroom.
King is the largest standard size that is available, many often make a mistake and think that California king is the largest, but that is not the case. California king bed is 72 x 84 inches, which means that it covers 6,048 square inches, while the dimensions of a regular king models are 76 x 80 inches, and it covers 6,080 square inches, which makes it the largest bed on the market.
Here are some of the advantages of a king size mattress:
- A king-size model has a broader sleeping area, which makes it perfect for couples who like to have some extra space in their bed. It is also very convenient for couples who have a small child or own a pet who occasionally likes to share a bed with them.
- King size bed is equal to the size of two twin XL beds placed side to side.
- If you are into aesthetics, you are going to love the shape of king-size beds because they almost form a perfect square, and that is why they fit in so nicely into every bedroom.
- King size is widely available, just like the queen size, pretty much every model of a mattress is produced in that size.
Disadvantages of a king size mattress:
- King and California king models are the most expensive sizes of beds, they usually have the same price, or the California king is slightly more expensive. However, in comparison to the queen size, the king is definitely pricier.
- Kings take quite some space, so if you want a king bed, you will need a bedroom that is at least 11 feet wide and long. Even this might not be enough because it leaves little to no space for other things in the bedroom.
- Due to their size, kings are more massive than average beds. They can weight from 110 to 140 pounds, so it can be hard to move them around the house without additional help.
Queen Mattress – Pros & Cons
Queen size beds are a standard in the bed industry, and most of the brands use queen size models for their advertising. They are today so popular among sleepers that they make around 40% of all mattress sales. Standard queen is 60 inches wide and 80 inches long, so one size smaller than the king, and one size larger than the full-size beds.
The queen size was introduced during the 40s and 50s together with the king size. However, in 1999 the queen beds became the most popular size in America, for the first time ever, by beating the twin size. Being 16 inches more narrow than the king, and 6 inches wider than the full, made the queen size the perfect size for those who are looking for the comfort of a king size bed, but their room is not big enough to accommodate it.
Advantages of a queen size mattress:
- First and the biggest advantage is the amount of space that it takes. Queen mattress requires less space than the king since it can fit into any room which is at least 11 feet long and 9 feet wide, leaving enough space around it for other stuff.
- Price point depends on the manufacturer, but in general, queens can be significantly cheaper than the king beds. A queen can be found for 100$ to 500$ less than the king size of the same model. The average price for a queen is usually from 800$ to 1200$, but the price depends on the mattress materials, manufacturer, brand, etc. Also, additional things such as bed frame and linens are more affordable for queen size models than for the king.
- Queen is also lighter, with average weight from 80 to 100 pounds, and it is easier to move it around the house if you are doing some room rearrangements.
- Queen size is the “safe” size option for most sleepers because they cannot go wrong with this bed. It comes with a broader and longer sleep surface than the full or twin xl mattresses, but it will not take so much space as king and California king models. You will get a proper bed for adults, and it will not cover every inch of your bedroom. Also, it is widely available since every model that is produced is also available in queen size.
Disadvantages of a queen size mattress:
- Queen is narrower than the king, which can bother some couples who like to have more personal space on the bed. Also, those who have children or pets that often sleep with them may find queen size a bit too small for their needs.
- If you have a larger bedroom, a queen sized bed may seem too small with so much space around it, and it would not appear so aesthetically pleasing as it would in a smaller room.
- Taller people can struggle with the size of a queen bed, so if you are taller than 6 feet and 4 inches, the queen will be too small for you. Don’t neglect your body features when choosing a bed.
Tips For Choosing The Right Mattress
The difference between a queen and king can seem insignificant at first, but the more you think about it, the more you will hesitate when you start weighing their pros and cons. Here are some things you should consider when opting between a king and a queen size bed:
Depending on the preferred sleep position, your body will take a different amount of space. If you like to sleep on your back, you will need more space than a side sleeper, and if your bed partner is also a back or stomach sleeper, you two will need a bigger model.
Investing and spending a bit more in a quality bed is never a mistake; however, there is no need to break the bank for a bed because there are plenty of affordable models. Do your research or be patient and wait for some exclusive offers, sales, and discount coupons.
Measure your room and see how much can fit in, there is no point in pushing in the king size bed if you are not going to be able to move around it. The somewhat universal rule is that you need at least 2 feet (61 cm) around three sides of the bed, but if you plan to furnish your room, you will probably need a lot more. If you are renting a place, and you will most likely have to move at some point, take that into consideration too, because kings can be heavy to move and transport. Also, think about the corridors and stairs in your building or house.
If you are single, you have the luxury of having the entire bed for yourself, and you will probably be okay with both sizes regardless of your weight. However, for couples who are more on the heavier side, queen sized bed might be too tight, and they should consider opting for the king size if possible. Also, taller people will probably find queen size too short.
Kids and pets
Occasional sleepover guests such as kids and pets can suddenly turn your spacious bed into a surface too small for the entire crew. If you like to snuggle in bed with your kids on weekend mornings, think about the king or California king models.
The difference in size between these two models can be negligible for some, while for others it can play a significant role. The truth is that both beds are large enough and the choice depends on personal needs, preferences and available space.
Queen will definitely suit all single sleepers, while some couples and families may need extra space and comfort that a king size can offer. However, if your bedroom is not big enough, then you do not have much choice.
If you are still unsure, we recommended checking both sizes in store, or if you are into online-only mattress brands, you can use the free trial period which nowadays almost every company offers. If it is suitable for your needs, great, if not, you can return it without any costs. That way you will be sure that you made the right decision.