Last Updated on
Remember the time you said you’d only take a short nap, but you ended up sleeping over 3h, and you woke up in the same position? That position could be your favorite one, and you might not even know it. If your preferred one is sleeping on the side – join the club.
Actually, around 70 percent of people feel the same way. Some even say that sleeping position can reveal your personality. Whether that is true or not, we can all agree that it does affect our quality of sleep.
Experts say that the optimal position is sleeping on the back as it provides the best spinal alignment and side sleeping comes in second place. Also, it is essential to pay attention to which side you prefer to sleep. The left side is recommended more than the right one, due to the position of our organs. But there are two factors we shouldn’t neglect – our pillow and mattress.
Luckily, we are not alone; many bedding brands offer various types of products that comply with our sleeping needs and preferences. They understand that sleep is precious for our health since we spend one-third of our life sleeping and they strive to help us make that time count, health-wise. Today we will talk and review a brand called Tempur-Pedic, and I’m guessing you have at least heard of them since you are here reading this article.
Let’s get down to business. What makes Tempur-Pedic so unique?
First of all, they have been in the bedding industry since 1992, so they know their stuff. This Swedish brand is focused on making high-quality memory foam products for maximum comfort. Currently, it offers three collections – Adapt, Cloud, and Contour with over ten models to choose from; two of them are hybrid models. If you are willing to stretch your budget, you can get an exclusive lux model called The GrandBed.
Second, the quality and durability of materials are outstanding. Most memory foam beds don’t last very long due to sagging, but you can use Tempur-Pedic mattress for seven years or more before replacing it. The models are designed to provide maximum pressure relief and minimize motion isolation with noise reduction.
In addition, this brand’s products come with free White Glove services. That includes delivery, replacement of the old mattress, and the assembly of the new one. You also get a warranty of ten years with 90 nights sleep trial. Bear in mind that they request a break-in period of at least thirty nights.
Buyer’s Guide Before Purchasing
When you are reviewing mattresses for side sleepers, keep these considerations in mind to get the best deal for your back.
- The level of firmness – Medium to Soft firmness is the best since people who sleep on the side need good support for their back, neck, and hips to align their spine correctly. Mattresses that are firmer cannot provide adequate support.
- The thickness of the mattress – Firmness and thickness go hand in hand. You can’t choose one without checking the other. If the mattress is thick, it means it has extra padding to provide additional comfort; hence it makes the bed softer. Mattresses that are thin are usually firmer.
- Your weight – The experience of your body being closely contoured depends a lot on your weight. For example, if you weigh below average, a mattress that is firm will not be able to provide the appropriate contouring since it’s too firm for you to feel it. Similar goes to the ones who weigh above average. If the mattress is too soft, you could sink in, and that would put your spine in an unnatural position which could cause the development of painful pressure points.
- Relief of the pressure – Side sleepers need to get neck, back, and hip support; otherwise, they won’t get a proper spinal alignment. The best mattresses are the ones that offer close contouring of the body. That kind of support eases pressure points that cause discomfort.
- Rotation of pelvic – Sometimes when we sleep on the side, we get our body in an unnatural position by twisting the midsection which leads to a misalignment between the lower and upper part of the body. This can cause pain if it occurs frequently. Some people found that sleeping in the log position or putting a pillow between their knees prevents pelvic rotation, but a mattress that gives proper support can minimize the risk of it as well.
The TEMPUR-Adapt – The Best Value
This model comes in two designs – A hybrid design and full memory foam design. All foam types of mattress consist of comfort layers made of dual memory foam, support core that is made of polyfoam high in density. The hybrid model also contains comfort layers made of memory foam with the addition to pocketed coils in its supporting core.
Both designs are made in a way to provide cool sleep. The cover material makes that possible because it regulates the temperature with minimal absorption of body heat. Another strength of these models is the high-quality support. Thick comfort systems isolate motion to great extent. Also, TEMPUR-Adapt mattress is relatively quiet which is not always the case with models from other manufacturers. These mattresses would satisfy couples who wake up due to noise or movement.
The Queen size model costs 1 999 dollars.
- People who sleep hot
- People who have average or below average weight
- People who sleep on the side or their back
- Provides cool sleep
- The thickness of 11 inches
- The medium firm – 5
- Potential off-gassing
TEMPUR-Contour Rhapsody Luxe – Best Pressure Relief
The Contour series have three memory foam types. TEMPUR-Contour Rhapsody Luxe model is the thickest compared to others due to its construction. The comfort system is made of memory foam, supporting core is made of polyfoam high in density which helps the mattress to conform the body closely and provides proper spinal alignment without sinking in too much on the edges.
The cover is made with SmartClimate technology that contains special fibers that reduce the heat of the body and provide a cooling effect. The best part of it is that you can remove and wash it. Suitable for couples due to its high motion isolation and noise reduction. The durability of the mattress is much longer compared with models from competing brands.
The price for a Queen bed is 3 599 dollars.
- People who change sleep positions
- People who have back pain
- People who have above average or average weight
- Excellent alignment of the spine
- A thickness of 13.5 inches
- Firm 7
- Excellent isolation of motion
The TEMPUR-Cloud Luxe Breeze – Best Luxurious Mattress
TEMPUR-Cloud Luxe Breeze mattress is considered to be the softest among other models in The Cloud collection. It contains a comfort layer made of memory foam that is very thick, making it ideal for people who are below average or average weight. Besides that, comfort layer has TEMPUR-ES material which has a cooling effect making it a temperature neutral mattress. Since this is a luxurious mattress, the construction has an extra layer of foam between comfort layer and supporting core made of dual polyfoam high in density.
Despite many soft layers supporting core will maintain the mattress even and flat. It also provides noise reduction and excellent motion isolation. This model is recommended for buyers who don’t mind spending more to get the optimum comfort.
The price for Queen size is 4 999 dollars.
- People with bigger budget
- People who suffer from lower back pain
- Back sleepers and side sleepers
- People who are below average or average weight
- Soft mattress
- A thickness of 13.5 inches
- Cooling system
- Excellent isolation of the motion
- High cost
- Not for stomach sleepers
The Tempur-Pedic ProAdapt – Our Editor’s Choice
Last but not least, the TEMPUR-ProAdapt mattress is our editor’s choice. The foam model comes in three types of firmness Firm 7, Medium 5, Soft 3, and you can get a hybrid model as well which is Medium firm. As you can see ProAdapt offers a variety of firmness to suit the needs of almost every sleeper regardless of their weight.
Each firmness option is slightly different from the other when it comes to its construction. That makes is highly adjustable according to personal preference. For example, Medium and Soft models contain a base layer made of polyfoam that is convoluted. They also keep the mattress cool due to excellent air flow through the supporting core. The firm model, on the other hand, contains foam core that is solid which will benefit people who sleep on their stomach and who are above average weight.
All models come with dual layer cover which has a cooling effect that neutralizes temperature more efficiently. Also, they provide substantial noise reduction and isolation of motion due to the construction.
The price is higher than other manufacturers but so is the quality.
- Stomach, back, side, and combination sleepers
- People with below average, average, and above average weight
- Hot sleepers
- People who suffer from back pain
- Various firmness options
- A thickness of 12 inches
- Conforms closely
- High motion isolation
- Mandatory break-in period
Tempur-Pedic gives a variety of options, and you can see a full list of products on their website. In addition, you can find a detailed description of each model construction. Here is the basic structure of all 11 models:
- Comfort layer made of memory foam – The density and thickness depend on the model, but their comfort system contains minimum one foam layer.
- Supporting core based on firmness – Tempur-Pedic mattresses contain polyfoam that is solid, but in some collections, like Adapt, softer models have a core made of foam that is convoluted and hybrid models include supporting core made of pocketed coils within polyfoam layer
- Various cover structure – Depending on collection some have a cover with a cooling effect while others have a cover made of cashmere, and memory foam models contain cover made of polyester.
Side Sleeper’s Position Insight
Sprinter – A position where a sleeper’s leg is bent while the other one is in a straight position, and the back and arms are in a straight position as well.
Log – A position where sleeper’s legs and arms are extended, while the back is in a straight position.
Fetal – Similar to the position babies make when they are in the womb.
Yearner – A position where the legs and back are in a straight position while the arms are stretched.